What happens during activation, provisioning and registering of your video endpoint
Here's an overview of what happens when you activate your hardware video endpoint with the Pexip Service. The diagram below refers to the Activate Endpoint app but please note before using the app yourself:
- you must check the supported provisioning method for your device, see Videoconferencing units compatible with Pexip subscriptions, and
- we recommend reviewing the guidance on how to run the app.
Please note there are different ways of accessing the Activate endpoint subscription web page (step 1 above in the diagram), for more information see the guidance on how to run the app.
Activation is the process of getting subscription details and provisioning server information onto your endpoint so that the device can initiate provisioning. When activation is complete, provisioning and registering follow automatically.
Provisioning is the ongoing process whereby the device contacts the provisioning server every 15 minutes to fetch details of the server address that it should register to. This enables the endpoint to switch to using a different Point of Presence (PoP) or different PoP server as required (except Poly Trios which can only do every hour).
In parallel with provisioning, registering is an ongoing process whereby the device and the PoP server maintain an always-on connection to ensure that your endpoint is always capable of making and receiving calls.
Situations when you may want to activate your hardware endpoint are:
- you have just got your endpoint license and want to activate, provision and register a device with the Pexip Service for the first time,
- you want to change the subscription used with the device,
- you have done a factory reset of the device.