Information on content sharing


The bandwidth for the presentation channel is adaptive and varies depending on the content being presented. Below are some examples that help illustrate this.

  • If we receive high resolution and high fps (frames per second), it will take up to 75% of the total bandwidth in order to preserve presentation quality. (The rationale is that if something is presented then it is likely to be more important than the main video.)
  • If presentation is high resolution and low fps, it probably doesn’t need more than 25% of the total bandwidth, and the remaining 75% of the bandwidth will be used to deliver good quality for the main video.
  • In CVI meetings and point-to-point calls you will most likely get a more even 50:50 split of the bandwidth between the video stream and content.

Resolution and frame rate

  • We will try to send the same resolution as the content we receive to preserve the sharpness of the presented content as much as possible.
  • We will try to send the same frame rate as we receive.
  • We will never send higher resolution or higher frame rate than we receive because that is unnecessary.
  • We always reduce the frame rate before we reduce the resolution.

Combining bandwidth, resolution and frame rate

  • If there's sufficient bandwidth, the Pexip meeting platform will support 1080p for content sharing while handling 720p for the video stream.
  • If the available bandwidth can support 1080p for content sharing but not 720p for the video stream, the video stream will be throttled down to sub-720p.
  • If there's insufficient bandwidth for 1080p content sharing, the Pexip meeting will try to support 720p for content sharing and the video stream is best-effort.