Teams Live Event custom streaming/recording (RTMP) setup
Microsoft Teams live events are extensions of Teams meetings, enabling users to broadcast video and meeting content to a large online audience.
You can use Pexip Infinity as an external RTMP encoder for your Teams live events, which means that you can stream video, audio and presentation content from your videoconferencing meeting room systems directly into the event.
See these Microsoft articles for more information about the administrative requirements for Microsoft Teams live events:
- What are Microsoft Teams live events?
- Plan for live events in Microsoft Teams
- Set up for live events in Microsoft Teams
These steps summarize the process to schedule a live event and add an RTMP stream via Pexip Infinity:
- Schedule a Teams meeting and change the meeting type to a live event. Note that the person (Teams user) scheduling the live event needs to have an E1 license.
- Set the event permissions to People and groups or Org-wide, and select An external app or device as the production method.
- Join the event from a Teams installable client, select Server ingest URL to use as your RTMP stream into the event. and copy the
- Use the Pexip app to schedule/start a live event for your Pexip VMR (or create an ad hoc stream from within the conference). In Stream name or key you must enter a stream name, for example pexstream.
Start the event via the Teams client to begin streaming to the audience.
Any video, audio and presentation content from the VTC is streamed to the live event.
These steps explain in more detail how to schedule a live event and add an RTMP stream:
Schedule a Teams meeting:
From the meeting drop-down menu, change the meeting type to a live event. The person (Teams user) scheduling the live event needs to have an E1 license.
- Enter the meeting title and other attributes as normal and then select .
- Set the event permissions to People and groups or Org-wide. At the time of writing (May 2019), you cannot use an external encoder if the permissions are Public.
- Select An external app or device as the production method for the live event and then select .
- Invite attendees as normal.
Join the event from the Teams installable app — it has to be the installable client, you cannot use the web browser.
The Encoder preview screen is displayed.
Start the live event.
- Select . The event setup might take some time to complete. Depending on timing, you may get a dialog that "Your scheduled start time has passed" that you can dismiss.
- When you see the message Ready to connect, go to the Source settings tab and copy the Server ingest URL — this is what you will use as the basis for your RTMP stream into the live event. You can use the Copy URL link next to the field to copy it to your clipboard.
Use the Pexip app to set up the custom RTMP streaming and start the event within Pexip:
- In the Server or stream URL field paste the URL from Teams, for example: rtmp://uwrmue57iuuau7kosylv7fidoh-twvzcvk6i2sc-euno.channel.media.azure.net:1935/live/9129a510a5dfa8caba8a47e.
In Stream name or key you must enter a stream name, for example pexstream.
The Teams Live Event recording will not work if you leave the stream name blank.
See Using a custom RTMP stream/recording integration in the Pexip app for more information.
- Start the event within Pexip. For scheduled events you can either select or you can wait until the scheduled start time.
- The encoder preview on Teams should show the meeting. There may be a delay of several seconds due to buffering.
You can now selectin the Teams client to begin streaming to the audience.
Any video, audio and presentation content from the VTC will be streamed to the live event. (To present content you can connect a device to the VTC in the usual manner e.g. via a source cable or wireless connection.)